Once a separate city outside of New Orleans and part of Jefferson Parish, Carrollton today is a neighborhood with many distinct elements. Originally acquired in 1719 by Bienville, New Orleans' founder, it spans an area from the Orleans- Jefferson line (Monticello) to Lowerline Street, and from Airline Highway to the River. Its original north (boundary) line is today in Old Metairie, and is called Northline. Carrollton encompasses smaller neighborhoods known as Gert Town, Hollygrove, Palm Air and Black Pearl. The New Orleans and Carrollton Railroad began operating in 1835 which led to rural Carrollton's growth and incorporation as a separate city in 1845. Ten years later it became Jefferson Parish's seat of justice. The beautiful Carrollton Courthouse was designed in 1854 by Henry Howard, the same architect who designed Madewood Plantation. Completed in 1855, it is located at 719 South Carrollton near the river.

Carrollton was annexed by New Orleans in 1874. Carrollton Avenue is the main thoroughfare and it begins where St. Charles Avenue ends at a graceful bend in the Mississippi. The famous streetcars that began as the New Orleans and Carrollton Railroad Line continue their run along Carrollton Avenue to Claiborne. The cars brought people to the community named for General William Carroll, who commanded a portion of Andrew Jackson's army in 1814-15 and was camped on the Macarty Plantation in the vicinity of Clinton and Adams Streets. Clinton Street is no longer there, but it ran right along-side of Hillary Street which is still there today. The Macarty Plantation was to become what is now Carrollton. Along the impressive oak-lined avenue are handsome mansions, as well as beautiful bungalows and "shotgun" doubles. Certain areas of the avenue have businesses and diverse dining opportunities. There are also numerous schools and churches along the way. The homes usually have 12 to 14-foot ceilings and a great deal of nineteenth century charm. The first home in Carrollton was built in 1835 by Samuel Short. The Riverbend, Maple Street and Oak Street commercial areas are all close to the streetcar line that linked this area to the rest of New Orleans just as it did more than 160 years ago.